Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Fresh Old Meat

I recently moved into Roman Gardens apartments. I’m not Roman and the whole thing is a cement jungle without any plants. Personally, I feel a little gypped. Moving, mid-semester, means that I am now “the new guy” in the complex. I can’t remember ever being “the new guy.” I’ve been “the tall guy,” “the weird guy,” “the good-looking guy,” “the ugly guy,” “the fishing guy,” and “the blogger guy” but never “the new guy.” It’s about time. So on Sunday, I felt like the “fresh meat” in my new ward as girl vultures circled in for a closer look. I had several who rapidly introduced themselves starting with their names, apartment numbers, and ring sizes. Four girls in particular decided to walk me to my car. It’s good to be “the new guy.” I trust they felt a deep sense of duty to protect, “the new guy.” While walking, one of them decided to play the “do you know Game.” I told her that I’m better with faces than names and also that it had been a while since High School. “A while,” she pondered, “when did you graduate?” I told her the blessed year of ‘97. “What about you four?” I asked. Suddenly a high pitched squeal broke the peaceful silence of the calm Sunday morning. In unison they replied, “2005!” As you can imagine, this was followed by several giggles that only 18 year old girls can fully achieve. Perhaps there will be a “new girl” next week.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, you were thought of as "the new guy" once upon a time and many moons ago. It was a ward social during the spring I think, and you and Kurt were talking to Missi, Nicci, Amy and me. As us ladies later discussed the new guys the ward had to offer (you know, to compile our list of eligible bachelors so we had a something to work from) you definitely came up (tho I think we called you "that guy that really likes England"). 'Course this was before we found out you'd been in the ward for a semester already, you had just been MIA... so you were, for a brief, but shining moment, a new guy... :)

June 20, 2006  
Blogger B-rad said...

Thanks for sharing, of course in that situation I was more one of "the new guys" (plural) and not the one and only "the new guy."

June 21, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

I was the "new girl" somewhat recently at work. All it meant was that I got a bad computer location

June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I see how it is... it's all about being "the" new guy, as opposed to being "a" new guy. I think though, after your little experience with the teenagers, you are probably now known as "the old guy" :)

June 21, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

maybe they'll set you up with their aunts

June 21, 2006  
Blogger B-rad said...

One can only hope

June 26, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

at least you weren't out right called the old guy, blessed title of the 'new guy'dosen't sound so bad eh, swing batter batter swing
Kim

July 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

August 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home